The goal of the Cornell Elementary School PTA is to promote the welfare of Cornell children in school and in the community. We also seek to further the partnership between home and the school so that parents and teachers may cooperate intelligently in the education of children and youth. We endeavor to support Cornell Elementary School in its mission to create a community of self-sufficient lifelong learners who are cooperative, respectful, and responsible.
Programs that are supported by Cornell Elementary School PTA include, but are not limited to:
In-class Enrichment and Support
- Contribution to Classroom Supplies. The PTA communicates closely with teachers and staff to help keep classrooms supplied with materials our kids need to learn.
- Music Enrichment Classes. The PTA fully funds Grade K-5 music enrichment classes for half of the school year.
- Chess Enrichment Classes. The PTA fully funds this program, which teaches chess to third graders.
- Poets in Schools Program. The PTA fully funds this program, which brings outside poet-teachers into the 5th grade classrooms.
- Funding for Library. The PTA runs the Scholastic Book Fair Fundraiser. It raises about 8K per year, and initiates numerous book donations for the library. In addition, the PTA funds certain library magazine subscriptions.
- Funding and Coordination for Assemblies. The PTA fully funds and coordinates a variety of enriching school-wide assemblies (e.g. the Pacific Sticks Quartet percussion group, the Red Panda Chinese Acrobats).
- Funding for Field Trips. Getting to Know Albany, Slide Ranch, and Coyote Hills are just a few places Cornell students get to explore and learn from, with funding from the PTA.
- Walk-through American Revolution. The PTA fully funds this outside educational event for 5th graders that teaches about the American Revolution in an interactive way.
- Creation and Support of Edible Garden. The PTA started and continues to support the Cornell Edible Garden with money and volunteer work.
- Landscaping and Cornell Crew. The PTA supports the Cornell Crew volunteers who do landscaping and non-structural building and facilities repair and maintenance.
- Contribution to PE Supplies. The PTA communicates closely with coaches to help keep Physical Education classes supplied with materials our kids need to keep fit and have fun.
- Supplemental Funding of Noon Supervisors. The PTA helps pay for parent volunteers who keep our kids safe at lunchtime.
- Earthquake Supplies. The PTA funds earthquake supplies for the school and each individual classroom.
Fundraisers and Community-Building Events, such as:
- Silly Olympics. An all-day Fall Carnival of fun and silliness. Food, games, and races!
- International Potluck. Where Cornell families bring dishes based on their favorite recipes to share. An opportunity to teach each other about where our families come from.
- Popsicle Wednesdays. A Cornell Wednesday afternoon tradition: socializing and modestly priced frozen treats.
- Winter Crafts Faire. Where kids and families make winter-themed crafts and gifts. Take them home or give them as gifts!
- Albany Bowling Party. An annual community builder for the Cornell PTA. Come roll a strike for the school!
- Graduation. An event to help celebrate our fifth graders’ huge accomplishment with snacks, cake, and beverages.
For a more comprehensive list of events sponsored by the Cornell PTA, click here: PTA-sponsored Cornell Events at-a-Glance
Our Tax ID# is 94-6171856.